Collectingfriends
Verified by:
Verified at:
2020-05-26

Ferguson

Brand

The Ferguson-Brown Company was a British agricultural machinery company formed by Harry Ferguson in partnership with David Brown.

Ferguson-Brown produced the Model A Ferguson-Brown tractor incorporating a Ferguson-designed hydraulic three-point linkage hitch. Of the 1,355 produced 400 of the tractors were sold in Scandinavia. The early tractors were fitted with the Coventry Climax model E engine which was a descendent of the American Hercules engine as fitted to the prototype "Black tractor" later the engine manufacture was taken on by David Brown Ltd. who made a number of improvements such as a deeper sump, some of the earlier tractors suffered from oil starvation on hillside work. It has been narrowed down by surviving examples that the engine change from the Coventry Climax to the David Brown took place around tractors serial numbers 525 to 528. Harry Ferguson surmised that the tractor hitch was the key to having a better plough and designed a simpler tractor attachment for it.

More

The Ferguson-Brown Company was a British agricultural machinery company formed by Harry Ferguson in partnership with David Brown.

Ferguson-Brown produced the Model A Ferguson-Brown tractor incorporating a Ferguson-designed hydraulic three-point linkage hitch. Of the 1,355 produced 400 of the tractors were sold in Scandinavia. The early tractors were fitted with the Coventry Climax model E engine which was a descendent of the American Hercules engine as fitted to the prototype "Black tractor" later the engine manufacture was taken on by David Brown Ltd. who made a number of improvements such as a deeper sump, some of the earlier tractors suffered from oil starvation on hillside work. It has been narrowed down by surviving examples that the engine change from the Coventry Climax to the David Brown took place around tractors serial numbers 525 to 528. Harry Ferguson surmised that the tractor hitch was the key to having a better plough and designed a simpler tractor attachment for it.

In 1938 Ferguson made a handshake agreement with Henry Ford to produce Ferguson System Ford-Ferguson tractors using Ferguson's own self-regulating three-point hitch system, beginning with the Ford-Ferguson 9N tractor. This tractor is recognizable by the blue Ford emblem on the front of the hood and the Ferguson System emblem on the grill. The three-point hitch soon became the favourite hitch attachment system among farmers in North America and around the world. This tractor model also included a rear Power Take Off (PTO) shaft that could be used to power three-point hitch mounted implements such as sickle-bar mowers. This PTO location set the standard for future tractor developments.

In 1953 Ferguson and Massey-Harris merged and the combined company Massey-Harris-Ferguson (later shortened to Massey Ferguson) became the manufacturer of the tractors and other designs. By then many manufacturers had developed their own three-point linkages and the linkage had become standardised worldwide.

Less