Curators


Hdb get involved
Edit

Barris Kustom

Company

George Barris was born in Chicago in the mid twenties. In 1928, he and his older brother Sam moved to Roseville, California with relatives after their parents died. They both were excellent students especially in drama, music and drawing. George pursued a passion for building scratch-built aircraft models which led to model cars. He won competitions for construction and design.

The brothers interest in cars intensified during their teenage years as they discovered "the black art" of body work by hanging out after school at local bodyshops, including Brown's and Bertolucci's in Sacramento. George created his first full custom from a used 1936 Ford convertible before he graduated from High School. This automobile lead to their first commercial customer. Shortly after George formed a club called Kustoms Car Club where the first use of "K" for kustoms appeared.

George moved to Los Angeles where his talents began to flourish. He soon opened his first shop in Bell, a Los Angeles suburb in late 1944. Sam joined him after his discharge in 1945. They opened a new shop on Compton Ave. in Los Angeles. The shop was known as the "Barris Brother's Custom Shop". Sam's natural metal craftmanship served as a perfect foil to George's desire to design, paint, manage, and promote.

  • {{ catalogItem['variantCount'] }} Variants
  • {{field.name}}: {{fieldValue.value}} {{fieldValue.value}} ,
  • {{catalogItem.catalogItemTypePrimaryEstimatedValueLabel}}: {{formatMoney(catalogItem.catalogItemPrimaryEstimatedValue)}}
  • {{catalogItem.catalogItemTypeSecondaryEstimatedValueLabel}}: {{formatMoney(catalogItem.catalogItemSecondaryEstimatedValue)}}

External Links


No links have been set yet

Sharing