1940 Mercury Coin Bank

In 1940 Ford explored the possibility of a promo that would do more than just be a toy with a sales pitch. The Straits Manufacturing Company in Detroit, Michigan brought forth the first “promo bank”, with a word-play on the Mercury car name and the popular ten-cent piece. Called the Mercury Dime Bank, the car – at industry standard 5″ length – was cast in a highly detailed aluminum single-piece body with wooden tires mounted on a stamped steel chassis. “MERCURY EIGHT” was boldly embossed on each side of the car’s hood. A slot ahead of the windshield allowed dimes to be dropped into the car. When the car was full, the bottom trap was permanently removed, allowing access to the accumulated coins.  This was the first promo that was made in all eight colors of the model.

{{variantField.name}}:
{{variantFieldValue.value}} ,
{{catalogItem.variantFields[$index + 1].name}}:
{{variantFieldValue.value}} ,
{{catalogItem.variantFields[$index + 2].name}}:
{{variantFieldValue.value}} ,
{{catalogItem.variantFields[$index + 3].name}}:
{{variantFieldValue.value}} ,
{{formatMoney(catalogItem.primaryEstimatedValue)}}
{{formatMoney(catalogItem.secondaryEstimatedValue)}}
{{variantGroup.name}} ({{variantGroup.catalogItemCount}})

External Links

No links have been set yet